Saturday, March 21, 2009

Preventive Mainrtenance

I think the universe is sending me a message (see previous post). I've decided it's about maintenance of machines. Not machines in general, but a particular machine. The most important machine in my life. My body. I'm renewing my focus on its maintenance.

I ran again today for the first time in 19 days. That's the biggest gap in years. I always feel better and have more positive energy on days I run. And it's not just about the body. I check out the world I live in when I run.

Last time I ran, there were 14 white swans on the lake. Today I saw that the eagles are back, in their favorite tree. The beavers have been doing maintenance on their home and dam. The running is about checking into that larger world outside of me that's been here since before me, will be here when I'm gone and within which I'm a spec of dust.

Somehow I've been letting my work "obligations" get in the way of preparing my mind and body for the enjoyment of the work. I also overdid the alcohol, noticably, last week. Done with that for awhile.

I know I go through cycles where my willingness to listen to the messages I recieve are masked by something in my own consciousness -- stubbornness, pride, ego, whatever it is. When that inability or unwillingness to listen become too great, the messages get louder, until I once again pay attention. I think my hearing is getting better in general, but I just had to stop and listen this week.

I realized (again) today that I need to be more careful with this, my favorite machine. I will get old one day -- if I listen to the signs and give it the care it needs.

2 comments:

Michael Murray said...

good for you Alan! We've been wallowing a bit for various reasons, but your post reminds me what is important... thanks for that.

AmpsterTango said...

Everyone at sometime or another gets castaway on the tides of this thing called life.

It's good to take a break every now and then to re-orient one's bearings.

Been there many a times, and will be there many a times more.

Oh, and sacrificing a chicken or two helps. Especially with guests coming to visit. ;-)